Monday, November 26, 2007

Latest kick

One of the two of us (Cali or I) always get on some life altering kick. This could be the way we eat, what we watch on T.V, or what we do with our spare time. The new one deals with the last of those three. This evening I had all kinds of time to call friends, play with the cat, and to read because she decided we should only watch two hours of T.V. a night. What freedom! I never imagined how much time T.V. was actually taking up. I've been feeling of late that I haven't been a very good friend or family member. I am not good at calling people and consequently I feel like I am losing touch with old friends and having trouble making new ones. I think this really has to do with the way I spend my time. In the movie we watched tonight (during our two hours) Steven Fry said that the greatest adventure we have in life is getting along with those who are all around us. He said that the truest test of character would be to get along with strangers if we were randomly dropped into their homes and essentially that is what happens when we are born. He was quoting someone and I can't remember who, but I thought this was interesting. Perhaps I will try getting to know our neighbors. Do people do that anymore?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Now the neighborhood is going to be thinking you are the weird ones - I can hear them now. They came over and talked to us - what nerve! I think the whole neighborhood thing varies. I have noticed in Flordia all the neighbors get together. Maybe it is because in Flordia most of the people are from other places. For instance, my friends down there are from Georgia, there neighbors one from KC one from Sweden, another from Illinois and the list could go on...
In Ten Mile, you are related to the neighbors so you see them all the time!
However, what can you lose? Go meet some neighbors.