Thursday, November 20, 2008

It All Happened in Just a Year

This year is the first time I have the same students two years in a row. It seems to be a good thing and a bad thing. The positives are that I got to start them from scratch. I taught them how I wanted them to play and they even know my weird language and how to do what I mean and not what I say. The problem is that they despite these positives, they soon grow up and start becoming adolescents.

Just last year my 5th graders were all happy-go-lucky kids. They seemed excited about everything and always came to class with a million stories about guitar hero, sports, and anything that was on their mind. This year they are pretty much the same, but sometimes they're just a tad bit grumpy. And sometimes they are a bit too tired to be bothered by me. And they certainly are becoming more sarcastic. What is the deal? Some of my 6th graders were that way last year, but I just assumed that's how those kids were. I never presumed that those students had been sweet 5th graders the year before. I guess there is something to that whole puberty thing. Maybe I just need to focus on the positives. I mean, they really do play quite well. And they still enjoy strings and want to come to class. But it does make me a little more suspicious of my super nice 5th graders.

2 comments:

Leah said...

It also happened in my house. However, I've noticed some positive changes too. She actually takes responsibility for getting her own stuff done sometimes. And, she will bring me hot tea when I'm sick, ok she always did that.

Holly said...

well, that's how it works. After years of watching youth group kids get too cool for school, I think that 6th grade makes sense for a starting point. Remember, they are the big fish now, but they will be humbled when they enter the whole 'sevie' thing. Just my two cents :)